Downtown St. Louis Employment Up;
According to data released by the Downtown St. Louis Partnership, downtown St. Louis
employment rose 3.7 percent from 1996 to 1998 (from 88,087 to 91,338).(1)
Transit Market Share Falling
- All of the gain was in the periphery of downtown, with core employment dropping nearly
- Approximately 80 percent of the gain was in local, state and federal government
At the same time, the survey indicated a substantial downward trend in journey to work market
share for both public transit and car pools. Since 1996:
- Transit work trip market share dropped 30.5 percent (bus and light rail).
- Light rail work trip market share dropped 10 percent.
- Car pool market share dropped two thirds.
1. As reported in the St. Louis Post Dispatch, 4 March 1999 (Charlene Proust,
"Downtown Gains Workers and Businesses, Survey Shows").
is an Undertaking of
WENDELL COX CONSULTANCY
P. O. Box 841 - Belleville, IL 62269 USA
Telephone: +1.618.632.8507 -
Demographic Briefs |
New Items |
Book Store |
THE PUBLIC PURPOSE
Internet Public Policy Resource
Corrections Policy, Rights & Permissions